Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fun Activities for Dads and Kids

As a father, I consider it extremely important to spend time with my son, Josh, as much as I can. Often, I take my son to the various parks near our home to play on the slides, the swings, merry-go-rounds, or just walk around exploring. Or, sometimes we watch short videos together, or sit at his small table in his room coloring, or playing with trucks on his rug. These activities keep us busy, and keep us spending quality time, but, I started thinking the other day, and wondered, what are some other great ideas for fun things fathers and sons can do together?
Children Josh’s age (2 to 3 years) love to explore, they love to learn, and just be active. Some of the ideas I came up with were:
1.) Not just reading books together, but acting them out
For example, my son loves to read the story, Mr. Brown Can Moo Can You, by Dr. Seuss. I could be Mr. Brown, and my son could make the sounds. I could put on my brown sport coat and brown shoes, and my son could act out the thunder, lightning and rain with motions.
2.) Make Saturday morning breakfast together
Especially because mommy likes to sleep in! I’m sure my son could begin to learn how to measure, stir and mix. For example, we could make something fun, like chocolate chip pancakes, shaped like animals, with syrup. A great way to make pancakes into different shapes is to use cookie cutters. You can buy cookie cutters in many different shapes, from zoo animals to toys to pirate ships.
3.) Pack and take a day trip
There are plenty of inexpensive places near your home you may not even know about that you might never have thought to take your kids. For example, I used to think going to a waterpark meant driving across the state to the major place everyone’s heard of. But I found out I was wrong. There is an indoor waterpark, that doesn’t cost too much, and doesn’t require two or three days in a hotel not even 30 minutes from our home, in a little town no one’s even heard of. But it’s there, and going was a blast! Another example of a day trip could be the museum, or an art fair. Pack a lunch!
4.) If you have older kids, you can have a treasure hunt outside around the house, or make crafts or model airplanes or ships, create your own crossword puzzles or Sudoku puzzles. (It actually isn’t that difficult to create those Sudoku puzzles. I tried it, it’s actually fun.)
Well, I those are some of my ideas, now I’d like to read yours. Please leave a comment listing your unique ideas for fun activities fathers can do with their kids. Thanks!
Spending quality time with your kids, and making sure to do a large variety of unique and imaginative activities helps them grow and learn, expand their vocabulary, and be all-around healthier and happier. And, perhaps most importantly, it helps parents stay close to their kids and build a great relationship that will continue throughout a lifetime.

0 comments:

 

Father and Son Journal Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template